Soroptimist is an organization of women who use their collective power to provide other women and girls with the resources and opportunities they need to reach their full potential and live their dreams. Our unique focus on women and girls provides the opportunity to make a better world for ourselves, our daughters and the generations of women to come. Soroptimist has helped 30,000 women through the Live Your Dreams education award. Soroptimists are mentoring girls through our Dream It, Be It program. Our Twin Cities club provides a $1,500 Live Your Dreams Award, a $500 Resilience Award to a high school girl, welcome bags, birthday cards and gift cards to the women of Sarah's...an Oasis for Women and many other service projects throughout the year.
What have we done lately?
Served 32 women at Sarah's...Oasis for Women a wonderful dinner while also providing 15 new residents with bags of personal products to help them feel at home. Bags were provided by Trader Joe's.
SITC member Mary Cocchiarella (left) and Brigadier General Sandra Best of the Minnesota Air National Guard at a promotion ceremony of the colonel, a historic promotion. February 25, 2016
Habitat for Humanity house build service event February 20, 2016
The Food Group service event January 23, 2016
Girl Rising Movie event
Soroptimist of the Americas Federation initiatives we support with local awards…
• Live Your Dream Award (female head of household)
• Resilience Award (high school senior girl who has overcome great obstacles to completing her education)
• Violet Richardson Award (14-17 year old girl volunteer in the community)
• Disaster Relief Fund that provides financial assistance to areas affected by natural disasters
• Funds and support awareness regarding human trafficking and domestic violence
Congratulations to our newest Twin Cities Soroptimist members Michelle Reitan (with member Sharon) and Harold Adams (with President-elect Deb)
SITC Board member Karen Cromer Johnson is SIA's new Board member for 2016-17. Congratulations!
SITC's 2016 Live Your Dream Award winner Raymonah Okari
President’s Appeal for 2015-17
Read more about the Soroptimist International President’s Appeal for 2015-17. The project, called Educate to Lead: Nepal, seeks to support women and girls in Nepal as they take steps to rebuild their lives, following the devastating earthquakes of 2015. The focus within Nepal will be on education and leadership, and implemented with our own local Nepalese Soroptimist clubs. You can also still donate to the project specifically by clicking here.
Members Lois Herman and Karen Johnson meet at United Nations Commission for the Status of Women meetings
What we do locally…
• Sarah's…an Oasis for Women Dinners, birthday presents, new resident supplies, one-on-one mentoring
• Jeremiah Program Adopt-a-family holiday gifts during the holidays, dinners
• B. Robert Lewis House Dinners, donations and grants, facility improvements (teen room, painting, refurbishing bedrooms, kitchen equipment, etc.)
• Partner with Organizations Work to eliminate human trafficking and raise awareness (child slavery conference  and art exhibit by human trafficking victims  Dreams Die Hard event ).
By the numbers...
• Nearly half of Minnesota women experience some kind of sexual abuse. (CDC 2011)
• About 22% of Minnesota women have been raped in their lifetime.
• More than 48% of Minnesota women have experienced sexual violence other than rape.